GranFondo Canada has announced the official course for the inaugural GranFondo Niagara Falls.
After three years of planning, the route for the September 14 ride has been finalized.
The 125 km event starts at the Falls and runs north along the Niagara Parkway into Niagara-on-the-Lake.
From there, participants will turn around and ride south to Portage Rd., heading west towards the Thorold Tunnel before doing a loop around Short Hills Provincial Park. The ride will then return to the Parkway for the final 10 km push to the finish in Niagara Falls.
Officials estimate between 2,000 and 3,000 cyclists will take part in the ride, which also passes through Thorold and Pelham.
The ride will require many roads, including the Niagara Pkwy. and Thorold Tunnel, to be closed for the entire duration of the ride.
“To create the safest environment for cyclists and motorists, traffic modifications will be in effect along the course,” said Lindsay Carswell, director of marketing at GranFondo Canada. “Motorists that need to travel on September 14 are advised to plan ahead as there will be complete closures and many delays.”
Carswell said the best routes for travelling through Niagara on event day are the QEW and Hwy. 406.
“Using these routes will get most drivers to where they need to go,” she said. “Always use caution around cyclists and obey traffic authorities.”
Road closures will also be made known through resident mailouts and door-to-door campaigns. Roadside signage will also be posted closer to the event.
For more information on the course and the road closure information in these specific neighbourhoods, visit www.september14.ca.
GRANFONDO TRAFFIC MODIFICATIONS
The following neighbourhoods and primary roads will have major impacts on Sept. 14: Queenston
- 6:45 am – 7:30 am: No vehicles permitted to cross Niagara Parkway
- 7:30 am – 9:00 am: Expect delays for crossing at York Road Bevan Heights
- 7:00 am – 12:15 pm: No vehicles permitted in or out of Melrose Stonefield Park
- 7:00 am – 12:30 pm: No vehicles permitted in or out of Pinestone Road Thorold Tunnel
- 7:00 am – 12:15 pm: Both westbound Lanes CLOSED – use alternate route Short Hills
- 8:00 am – 11:30 am: No vehicles permitted on roads – see course map online Lookout Street
- 8:30 am – 11:00 am: No vehicles permitted on road – park elsewhere for egress
My Gran Fondo is What I Trained For