If you’re looking for a fun family vacation to take in the summer, look no further than Niagara Falls. U.S. News & World Report ranks a trip to Niagara Falls as the:
- #1 Best Family Vacation in Canada
- #3 Best Affordable Family Vacation
- #3 Best Family Summer Vacation
- #7 Best Place to Visit in Canada
It’s no wonder why this natural wonder has achieved these accolades. With plenty of beautiful sites to check out and so many fun activities for all ages, a Niagara Falls family vacation is an affordable way to have a blast.
Here’s how to plan a summer trip to Niagara Falls that the whole family will love:
Weather and Attire Tips
Summertime weather in Niagara Falls is absolutely beautiful. Visitors can look forward to plenty of sunshine in summer months and weather averages like:
- June: 20°C/68°F
- July: 22°C/72°F
- August: 21°C/70°F
- September: 18°C/64°F
The humid continental climate does bring a chance of wind or rain at any time, however. July is the wettest month of the year, with about a 50 percent chance of rain.
In addition to the variances in weather, because you’ll likely get close to Niagara Falls at some point on your trip, it’s wise to bring clothing layers. Tours near the falls usually include access to rain ponchos, but you should also bring the following on a summer trip to Niagara Falls:
- Comfortable closed-toed shoes
- Rain slicker
- Light jacket
- Jeans or pants
A hat and sunscreen keeps you protected on sunny days, especially if you are at a Niagara Falls hotel pool. Light layers are great for families so that you always stay comfortable on your outdoor excursions.
Summer Special Events in Niagara Falls
Summer is a great time to plan a trip to Niagara Falls because there are entertaining events going on just about every night of the week. Here are some you should plan for:
- Niagara Falls fireworks: In 2018, there are more than 100 Niagara Falls fireworks shows scheduled from May to October, including nightly shows from June 18 to September 3, weather permitting.
- Coca-Cola Concert series: Niagara Parks hosts free concerts Thursday’s through Sunday’s in the summer, as well as many additional dates. The concerts go from 8 to 10 p.m. and end right before the fireworks show.
- Car shows, murder mystery nights, wine festivals, and more: The Niagara Falls tourism department hosts more than 100 Niagara Falls summer events, many of which are free and are family-friendly. Check out comedians, dance shows, art fairs and more.
In the summer, you’ll never run out of enjoyable events to check out. See entertainment like you never have before, in a Niagara Falls environment.
Landmarks to Visit
Part of what makes Niagara Falls a top destination for travel lovers is its abundance of breathtaking landmarks. Here are some the whole family can enjoy, and tours to check out:
- Hornblower Niagara Cruises: Take a boat tour into Niagara Falls, and feel the awesomeness of the falls up close.
- Niagara Parks Botanical Gardens and Butterfly Conservatory: See lush plants and flowers indigenous to Niagara Falls, and view more than 2,000 butterflies in the conservatory.
- Fort George Natural Historic Site: Experience history in an exciting way at this site, which has been transformed into Fort George, an important military post in the War of 1812.
- Niagara Glen Nature Reserve: Hike or take a guided tour to explore the geology and biology of this beautiful reserve overlooking the Niagara River.
- Journey Behind the Falls: Head into the heart of Niagara Falls by foot, descending into 130-year-old tunnels that offer unique vantage points.
Remember to wear comfortable clothing and walking shoes for outdoor expeditions, so you can explore all that Niagara Falls has to offer.
Fun for Kids and Adults
Niagara Falls caters to every age, with plenty of kid-friendly and adults-only entertainment. Kids and parents alike will love the indoor Fallsview Waterpark, with 16 waterslides and other splash-worthy water attractions.
For adults who want a summer escape, Niagara Falls has lots of grown-up entertainment, like wine tasting, culinary tours, and gambling at Casino Niagara. The Christienne Fallsview Spa is also a relaxing escape, with views overlooking Niagara Falls.
There’s also plenty of fine and casual dining in Niagara Falls, as well as nightclubs and bars to check out. Talk to the Sheraton on the Falls Hotel concierge team to plan a perfect trip for your family.
Find a Home Away from Home at the Sheraton on the Falls Hotel
At the Sheraton on the Falls Hotel, it’s our goal to make our hotel an amazing place to rest and relax amid all the fun you’ll be having. Our family-friendly rooms are comfortable for parties of all sizes. Let us make your Niagara Falls trip one you’ll always remember.
Book a room here, or call 1-888-229-9961 to talk with one of our reservation team members.