If you love flowers, nature and sweet-smelling things, visiting Niagara Falls isn’t complete without a stop to the Floral Showhouse in Niagara Falls, Canada. This landmark Niagara Falls spot has been one of the best things to do in Niagara Falls Ontario for more than 70 years. And if you’re coming to Niagara Falls this summer, make sure the Floral Showhouse’s Annual Summer Show is on your list of Niagara Falls tours to check out.
Seven times a year, the Floral Showhouse spotlights different in-season flowers. The Annual Summer Show June 8 to September 9 features gorgeous summer blooms, along with other indigenous plants and flowers that create a stunning display.
This year’s show also celebrates Chinese culture, with installations featuring meaningful and beautiful icons and decorations. Learn more about the Annual Summer Show here, so you can plan for it when you’re visiting Niagara Falls.
Details About the Floral Showhouse
The Floral Showhouse, located at 7145 Niagara Parkway in Niagara Falls, is easily walkable from the Niagara Falls Horseshoe Falls waterfall and Table Rock Centre. The building is a breathtaking greenhouse, with glass walls and ceilings to let light stream through and power up the plants and flowers. A beautiful fountain takes centre stage amid mainstay flowers and plants like succulents, lilies, cyclamen and orchids.
Most visitors spend an hour or two here, learning about all the plant and flower species and admiring their beauty. Floral Showhouse Niagara Falls tours are self-guided, so you can linger as long as you’d like.
Next to the Floral Showhouse is a park with more gardens to peruse, including rose gardens, a fragrant garden where flowers are identified in Braille, and a large model train circling a pond. It’s a really fun thing to watch go around, whether you’re a kid or an adult!
There’s also an Artists Garden nearby, where you can take a seat and enjoy all the scents, or bring out a sketchpad if you’re inspired to create some art.
Admission to the Floral Showhouse is $7 for adults, $4 for children ages 6 to 12 and free for children younger than 6 years old. Hours are 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. You can call (905) 374-1616 for more information.
Special Touches in the Annual Summer Show
This year’s Annual Summer Show will highlight the colour ultraviolet, which will be seen in flowers and plants like:
- Strobilanthes, which are ornamental flowering tropical plants originating in Myanmar, where the plants grow as an evergreen perennial. This plant is unique because the leaves are a vibrant purple. The plant usually thrives in heat and humidity and becomes even more colourful when it’s partially shaded, like in the Floral Showhouse.
- Gomphrena: Gomphrena flowers look like gumballs, round “bachelor button” flowers that are similar in shape to clovers. They come in a variety of colours, including pink and white, but you’ll see purple ones in the Annual Summer Show.
- Colocasia: Colocasia, also known as “Elephant Ears,” are tropical plants native to southeast Asia. These plants produce very large leaves, which can be violet in colour. In tropical Asia, they’re grown for food.
In addition to these special flowers and plants taking up residence in the Floral Showhouse Annual Summer Show, visitors will also see Chinese-themed installations. These include:
- A wishing bridge, which is commonly seen in Chinese gardens and is often painted red. Red is a colour symbolising good fortune, happiness and protection.
- A moon gate, which is a circular opening in a garden wall. This type of design is a traditional Chinese garden architectural element. Moon gates can have various spiritual meanings in Chinese culture.
- Red lanterns, which are also a symbol of prosperity and good fortune. They’re often used in Chinese festivals like Chinese New Year celebrations throughout the world.
- Red umbrellas, which symbolise community, gathering and good luck.
The marriage of these specially hued summer flowers and plants with Chinese symbolism creates a beautiful natural art-filled display in Niagara Falls. The Niagara Falls Floral Showhouse Annual Summer Show is a great place for the whole family to learn about new plants, flowers and cultures.
Need a Place to Stay? Book a Room at the Sheraton on the Falls Hotel
The Sheraton on the Falls Hotel is the best place to stay on your Niagara Falls trip. Besides our comfy rooms and abundance of dining options, we’re conveniently located next to all the best Niagara Falls attractions.
We’re a 30-minute scenic walk along the Niagara River to the Floral Showhouse, or less than 10 minutes away by car. We can help you get where you need to go, by setting up transportation to the Floral Showhouse and other Niagara Parks destinations. Book your Niagara Falls vacation now.